Courtesy of the Nicaragua Dispatch we have Daniel Ortega, whose foreign assistance is in jeopardy, using a tight pinch to his advantage: he turns around the threat and puts NGOs in the gunsight. Now it may be illegal for Nicaraguan pro-democracy NGOs, we can assume - to receive funding from the United States.
Any dictator knows that's the sort of move that wakes people up. Let's look at the pros and cons:
- The Yanqui Imperialista American government is out of your (thinning) hair.
- Your Pro-Democracy NGOs are suddenly in the yardsale and bakesale business
- Everyone has just remembered who the frikking boss is around here.
- No more skimming that development assistance, dammit
- No more Yanqui Imperialista American government to blame when things go wrong (shout out to Fidel Castro!)
- A bunch of unemployed Nicaraguan NGO workers
- Many other Nicaraguans suffer, since this doesn't affect just the pro-democracy crowd. Oh well, Ortega's presidency was never really about them anyway.